Tahini Gelato

 I started making Gelato in 2019, after a visit to Italy inspired me to hunt for authentic gelato recipes. Most recipes I found online did not look all that different from the ice cream recipes I used. They invariably contained some egg yolks, milk, and cream, and involved cooking to achieve, basically, a custard base. I went through quite a few ice cream cookbooks too. None of them yielded the texture of a traditional gelato. Then I found Morgan Morano's "The Art of Making Gelato." Morano's cookbook was life changing. I seldom make ice cream with egg yolks now - gone are the days where I have five egg whites to turn into cake. The recipes yield gelato that are so delicious and - relatively speaking - healthy. The difference is made up by use of tapioca starch. I leave out corn syrup now - I don't think it is necessary. And I just riff on her original recipes. The kids love tahini and so I thought I would try making tahini gelato. This worked out well. If you do try this, you can make it your own by increasing or decreasing sugar (I decreased sugar). Don't go too crazy with the tapioca starch or it may taste pasty. 

1: Mix in a medium sized pot (about 2.5 quart is fine) with a heavy base:

170g sugar

25g tapioca starch

200g heavy cream

700g milk

1/4 cup to 1/3 cup well stirred tahini (I prefer the Soom brand)

a pinch of salt. 

2. Whisk the ingredients and place over medium heat to cook. 

3. Whisk constantly until the mixture becomes thick and viscous.  Increase speed as you feel it thickening. Don't let the mixture burn. This will take about 12 to 15 minutes, sometimes sooner if you have your heat up high. Remove from heat once it is thick enough. I like to continue whisking a little move to help release steam and heat. 

4. Pour into another container (glass or metal mixing bowl), stir in 1 tsp vanilla (or 2 tsp if you love vanilla). 

5. Let cool and then stick it into the fridge for a couple of hours. 

6. Churn in your ice cream maker. 

Comments

Popular Posts