Black Bean Chocolate Cake



Ok, I don't typically try to make my dessert healthy. I like my dessert rich and decadent or what is the point? However, this cake is worthy of bookmarking because it tastes pretty good for just how "healthy" it is. Also, I like that I can serve this to friends who can't have gluten, nuts, or dairy. I know quite a few highly allergic little people and I am excited to make this for when they next visit! Tasty dessert they can eat! I soaked and cooked my own black beans from scratch (left them on low simmer in pot for 2.5 hours). I imagine it works with canned black beans too. A tiny sliver goes a long way. And, yes, for the people who can drink milk, it pairs well with a glass of milk.

400g (14.1 oz) cooked black beans (approximately 2 cups)
5 eggs
225g (about 8 oz) sugar (you can reduce this a little if you like, since the frosting can be made sweet, but I wouldn't go too far down, or you might well skip dessert).
8 to 10 tbs vegetable oil (or use 1.5 to 2 sticks or butter, depending on just how decadent you like your cake)
1 tbs and 1 tsp vanilla
75g (or about 2.6 oz) of cocoa powder
1 3/4 tsp of baking powder
1 1/4 tsp of baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease two 9" round cake pans, line bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper.

If using oil: Blitz the black beans with 2 eggs, vanilla, and the sugar until completely smooth. Add oil and remaining eggs and blitz it again till completely incorporated and the mixture looks rather voluminous. Add the remaining dry ingredients and blitz again.

If using butter: Make sure the butter is at room temperature and soft. Process it in the food processor till soft and fluffy. Add black beans, 2 eggs, vanilla and sugar and blitz till mixture is really smooth and voluminous. Add  the remaining eggs and remaining dry ingredients and blitz some more.

Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Remove from oven when done and cool on the cooling rack.

Frosting:
1/4 cup water
1/2 runny honey
6 oz semisweet chocolate (I like Trader Joe's 72% Dark Chocolate), roughly chopped
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (use less if you like it less sweet; use more if you use really dark or unsweetened chocolate; taste if you go)

Bring water and honey to boil in a small (but not too small) pot. Add the chocolate and stir around with a whisk or a wooden spoon till smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and whisk/stir vigorously. If you have small lumps, pour the chocolate mixture through a strainer.

Putting it all together:
Remove one of the cake layer to a plate/stand large enough to hold the cake. Pour some of the chocolate over the top. Smooth it out till you have an even layer. Top off with the other layer of cake and repeat. I didn't bother frosting the side of the cake this time (it looks nice still), but the recipe makes enough for you to frost the whole cake. Don't worry if the frosting is a bit sweet. The cake is not terribly sweet (or even a little under-sweet) so it works out.

This recipe is adapted from http://www.thepancakeprincess.com/2013/12/20/superfood-chocolate-cake/

Comments

Melissa said…
I made this for my dad’s birthday and everyone raved about it. Very easy to make and it turned out beautifully. I served it with strawberries. It’s very hard to find desserts that are dairy-free and gluten-free. I’ll definitely make it again.
Jackie Kim said…
I am so glad your family and you liked it!

Popular Posts